This is a simplified version of the original at YCombinator.
Completing this will help clarify your idea, the story and vision. This template can be used as a guide by you, our aspiring founders, to describe your idea, solution and everything you have thought about it. If some terms don’t make sense to you, take your best guess via Google. You will learn a lot more about doing this in YEEP, if you get selected.
Introduction (roughly a paragraph each)
- What’s your idea?
- What problem are you targeting?
- How does the world work now in relation to this problem (or how the world is managing without your idea)?
- How do you solve the problem?
- How does solving the problem change behavior and make you money?
- What is the scale of the opportunity?
- What does go-to-market look like?
Market and Competition
- Who are the customers?
- Why and how much will they pay to use your product/service?
- How do they think/act?
- How big is the opportunity they represent (or how many people do you think need your product, around the world)?
- What is your competition and how do you defeat it?
- Who are you all and what makes you special?
- Identify the main objections you are likely to face, and eloquently knock them down. Support your arguments with data, as far as you can.
- How much money do you think you need to make this idea into a real-world product and what will you use the money for?
You can add your own sections to the template, where you have information to provide that the template does not ask or if it doesn’t fit in any existing section. But try and keep in within 5 A4 pages. More is not better.